Avalanche Forecast published on March 26, 2019 @ 6:54 am
This Avalanche Forecast expires in 22 hours, 9 minutes
This Forecast is valid for 24 hours
Issued by Steve Reynaud - Tahoe National Forest

MODERATE avalanche danger will exist due to a wind slab avalanche problem in near and above treeline areas.  LOW avalanche danger will exist in below treeline areas.

2. Moderate

?

Above Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

2. Moderate

?

Near Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

1. Low

?

Below Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
    Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Small wind slab development will continue on NW-N-NE-E-SE aspects in near and above treeline areas.  Light snow fell overnight with additional snow expected today and tonight along with continuing strong to gale force SW winds.   Most wind slabs are expected to be small, size D1, with isolated size D2 wind slab avalanches possible in areas that receive the most additional storm snow today and tonight.  Small reactive wind slab avalanches have been reported over the past few days throughout the forecast region.

Look for blowing snow, cornice formation, and wind pillow development.  Small avalanches could have consequences from secondary terrain hazards, such as being pushed into rocks, trees, cliffs, or terrain traps.   

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

1 to 3'' of new snow fell overnight mainly along the northern portion of the Sierra Crest.  Additional light snow is expected today and tonight with snow levels forecasted to be in the 6500-7000' range.  A winter storm warning is in effect from 11pm tonight through 11pm Wednesday night as the main part of the storm impacts our area.  1-2' of snow is expected on Wednesday above 7000' along the Sierra Crest with light amounts expected down to lake level.  SW winds will continue in the strong to gale force range with wind gusts near 100mph along upper ridges and peaks. 

Weather observations from along the Sierra Crest between 8200 ft. and 8800 ft.
0600 temperature: 26 to 33 deg. F.
Max. temperature in the last 24 hours: 32 to 38 deg. F.
Average wind direction during the last 24 hours: SW
Average wind speed during the last 24 hours: 55 to 75 mph
Maximum wind gust in the last 24 hours: 104 mph
New snowfall in the last 24 hours: 1 to 3 inches
Total snow depth: 108 to 156 inches
Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 7000 ft. to 8000 ft.
Today Tonight Wednesday
Weather: Cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow possibly mixing with rain near 7000 feet in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet increasing to 7000 feet in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow possibly mixing with rain near 7000 feet. Snow levels 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Cloudy. Snow in the morning, then snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Temperatures: 34 to 39. deg. F. 27 to 32. deg. F. 30 to 36. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Southwest 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 60 mph. Southwest 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 60 mph. Southwest 20 to 35 mph with gusts to 65 mph.
Expected snowfall: 90% probability of 1 to 4 inches. 10% probability of 4 to 6 inches. | SWE = up to 0.15 inch. 80% probability of 2 to 5 inches. 20% probability up to 2 inches. | SWE = up to 0.45 inch. 90% probability of 8 to 14 inches. 10% probability of 4 to 8 inches. | SWE = 0.65-1.10 inches.
For 8000 ft. to 9000 ft.
Today Tonight Wednesday
Weather: Cloudy. Chance of snow. Snow levels below 7000 feet increasing to 7000 feet in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Cloudy. Chance of snow in the evening, then snow after midnight. Snow levels 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%. Cloudy. Snow in the morning, then snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Temperatures: 27 to 34. deg. F. 23 to 28. deg. F. 24 to 30. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southwest 30 to 50 mph with gusts to 85 mph. Southwest 30 to 45 mph. Gusts up to 85 mph increasing to 110 mph after midnight. Southwest 30 to 50 mph with gusts to 105 mph.
Expected snowfall: 80% probability of 1 to 5 inches. 20% probability of 5 to 7 inches. | SWE = up to 0.25 inch. 80% probability of 3 to 7 inches. 20% probability of 1 to 3 inches. | SWE = 0.20-0.45 inch. 90% probability of 10 to 16 inches. 10% probability of 5 to 10 inches. | SWE = up to 1.15 inches.
Disclaimer

This avalanche forecast is provided through a partnership between the Tahoe National Forest and the Sierra Avalanche Center. This forecast covers the Central Sierra Nevada Mountains between Yuba Pass on the north and Ebbetts Pass on the south. Click here for a map of the forecast area. This forecast applies only to backcountry areas outside established ski area boundaries. This forecast describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This forecast expires 24 hours after the posted time unless otherwise noted. The information in this forecast is provided by the USDA Forest Service who is solely responsible for its content.

For a recorded version of the avalanche forecast call (530) 587-3558 x258

Subscribe to Central Sierra Avalanche Advisory | Avalanche Forecast From the Sierra Avalanche Center