The USDA Forest Service avalanche centers are continuing to operate despite the partial government shutdown because of the critical public safety information they provide.
Tahoe Mountain Sports ~ Beacons and Beers
Beacon, shovel and probe are your backcountry essentials. Come get tips on how to use this gear to search and rescue someone. Join us on Wednesday, November 14 at Alibi Ale Works - Truckee Public House to connect with other like minded backcountry enthusiasts. Come early to get a cold beverage, food and best seating. Formal presentation starts at 6:30 pm.
We'll start with a discussion about beacons and how they work, then discuss the best ways to shovel and probe because you need to do it quickly. Then we'll have a quick run down on the features and uses of each different brand of beacon so you can decide which one might be best for you. At the end, you'll have a chance to practice outside in small groups. Representatives from Black Diamond, Mammut and Ortovox will be on hand with demo beacons for you to try out and use in a real search scenario. You can also bring your own beacon with you for practice or to test your skills against others in the group.
Don't forget to bring some cash for the huge raffle! All raffle ticket purchases benefit Sierra Avalanche Center and you have a chance to win cool prizes from Ortovox, Flylow, Mammut, Black Diamond and BCA.
- Lift Tickets~ Northstar, Heavenly & Kirkwood | 12/19/2018 to 04/14/2019 | $129
- Backcountry Ski Maps ~ SAC Fundraiser | 01/15/2019 to 01/31/2019 | $20
- Motorized Level 1: January 25, 26, 27 in Truckee | 01/25/2019 to 01/27/2019 |
- Motorized Level 1: February 1, 2, 3 in Truckee | 02/01/2019 to 02/03/2019 |
- Motorized Level 1: February 22, 23, 24 in South Lake Tahoe | 02/22/2019 to 02/24/2019 |