In partnership with:
State of the Snowpack for 1/11/2020 - 1/17/2020
Submitted by andy on Sat, 01/18/2020 - 17:29
Dates of the Week:
1/11/2020 to 1/17/2020
- Wind Slabs - Skier triggered and natural wind slab avalanches reported on 1/11, human triggered on 1/12, and 1/15, and human triggered and natural avalanches on 1/16 and 1/17. One partial burial on 1/15
- Storm Slabs / Persistent Slabs - Avalanche on 1/15 - unknown trigger. Human triggered and natural avalanches on 1/16 and 1/17. Full burial on 1/17.
- About 2 ft of new snow now rests on top of the Jan 4 crust/facet combination. This persistent weak layer was the weak layer in the persistent slabs this week.
- Below the Jan 4 crust/facet, a well-consolidated snowpack exists.
- Light snow showers and strong winds until midweek.
- Storm with up to 2 ft of snow and gale-force winds starting midday 1/16 continuing through the night.