The USDA Forest Service avalanche centers are continuing to operate despite the partial government shutdown because of the critical public safety information they provide.
Week in Review for 11/11/2017 - 11/17/2017
Submitted by steve on Sun, 11/19/2017 - 14:56
Dates of the Week:
11/11/2017 to 11/17/2017
General Snowpack Structure:
- Basal facets in the Mt. Rose area continue to gain strength in most locations.
- Graupel and small faceted grains have been observed near a rain crust within the upper snowpack and near the surface- mainly along the Sierra Crest (Carson Pass and West Shore).
- At 8000', 2' of supportable snow exists. Above 8500', 3'+ of supportable snow exists.
- Strong AR storm system on 11/15-11/16
- Rain up to 9000'
- 3'+ of storm snow above 8500'
- Gale force SW winds