In partnership with:
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 12/08/2017 - 14:16
Dates of the Week:
12/1/2017 to 12/8/2017
General Snowpack Structure:
- Hard wind slabs of variable thickness on top of older near surface facets near and above treeline interspersed with scoured areas. Wind slabs most prominent on NW aspects.
- Wind scoured surfaces in areas exposed to NE wind events.
- Lingering unconsolidated storm snow in areas of shade and NE wind protection.
- Some areas of well developed near surface facets remain near the snow surface on northerly aspects.
- Melt-freeze surface conditions on solar aspects.
- Storm event on Dec 2-3
- Very strong high pressure building since storm event.
- Gale force NE winds on Dec 4-5
Observations From the Past 7 Days
|Location||Region||Date and time of observation or avalanche occurrence||Observation Type||Avalanche observation video||Avalanche photos||Snowpit videos (tests, etc)||Snowpack photos||Snowpit or crown profile photo or graph||Observation made by|
|West side Relay Peak||Mount Rose Area||12/14/2017 - 16:00||Snowpack Observation||Public|
|Andesite Peak and S aspect of Castle Pk||Donner Summit Area||12/14/2017 - 11:00||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|Castle Peak||Donner Summit Area||12/13/2017 - 15:27||Avalanche Observation||Public|
|Chickadee Ridge||Mount Rose Area||12/13/2017 - 12:00||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|Andesite Peak||Donner Summit Area||12/13/2017 - 11:30||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|Basin Peak||Donner Summit Area||12/12/2017 - 11:30||Snowpack Observation||Public|
|Castle Peak||Donner Summit Area||12/11/2017 - 13:00||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|East Ridge Tamarack Peak||Mount Rose Area||12/11/2017 - 12:00||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|Becker Ridge||Echo Summit Area||12/10/2017 - 12:30||Snowpack Observation||Forecaster|
|Castle Pass||Donner Summit Area||12/10/2017 - 12:10||Snowpack Observation||
Tahoe Mountain School