By Kerry Stendell, SAC Board Member
The Sierra Avalanche Center has awarded $12,500 in scholarships for avalanche education! The Scholarship Program was established to support our mission to educate the public and help foster an informed backcountry community. Over 70 applications were submitted and 27 applicants were awarded a scholarship.
Sierra Avalanche Center Scholarship Program, by the numbers:
* 75 applicants (33 women, 42 men)
* 20 scholarships awarded for Level 1 Recreational course to 10 women and 10 men
* 2 scholarships awarded for Level 2 Recreational course to 2 men
* 3 scholarships awarded for Avalanche Rescue course to 2 women and 1 man
* 2 scholarships awarded for Pro Level 1 course to 1 man and 1 woman
Many of the award recipients are from the Lake Tahoe region and Reno but also some of the recipients are from Davis, Grass Valley, San Francisco, and Redwood City.
Most impressive about this year’s scholarship winners was the variety of backcountry users and their background. We awarded scholarships to college students, grad student scientists and researchers that travel into avalanche terrain throughout winter to conduct their research, search and rescue volunteers, ski retail managers, a FreeRide World Qualifier athlete, teachers, ski coaches, parents who want to go in the backcountry with their kids, skiers, boarders, and snowshoers, people whose lives have been impacted by an avalanche experience, aspiring guides, a Boy Scout leader, and ski patrol.
There were many great applicants that made selecting winners extremely hard. The Sierra Avalanche Center is excited that so many backcountry users are interested in furthering their education!
Our Scholarship Program is possible because of donations from individuals in the community. We would like to be able to award even more scholarships next season. Help us make that happen and be a part of reaching this goal by becoming a member of Sierra Avalanche Center or donating today at www.sierraavalanchecenter.org .
- Motorized Avalanche Awareness Presented by Duncan Lee | 02/19/2019 |
- Motorized Level 1: February 22, 23, 24 in South Lake Tahoe | 02/22/2019 to 02/24/2019 |
- Motorized Level 1: March 1, 2, 3 in South Lake Tahoe | 03/01/2019 to 03/03/2019 |
- Roses are Rad Winter Film Festival | 03/08/2019 | $10
- Motorized Level 1: March 8, 9, 10 in South Lake Tahoe | 03/08/2019 to 03/10/2019 |
- 1 of 2
- next ›