THIS AVALANCHE FORECAST EXPIRED ON February 11, 2019 @ 6:45 am
Avalanche Forecast published on February 10, 2019 @ 6:45 am
Issued by Steve Reynaud - Tahoe National Forest

CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger will exist today due to wind slab and storm slab avalanche problems.  Dangerous avalanche conditions are expected.  Human and natural triggered avalanches could occur at all elevations today.  

3. Considerable

?

Above Treeline
Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.

3. Considerable

?

Near Treeline
Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.

3. Considerable

?

Below Treeline
Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.
    Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Wind slab avalanches will be likely today in near and above treeline terrain on NW-N-NE-E-SE aspectsWind slabs have continued to grow overnight with additional snow and continued gale force SW winds.  Wind slabs could also exist on different aspects and in below treeline areas as wind transport was expected to be intense overnight.  Wind slab development will begin to decrease today as the snow and winds wind down.

Look for blowing snow, cornice formation, and wind pillows.  Avoid steep wind loaded terrain and runout zones below large cornices.  Large natural and human triggered avalanches are possible.  Good terrain management skills are essential today.

Avalanche Problem 2: Storm Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Storm slab avalanches will be likely on all aspects in wind protected terrain near and below treeline.  We have received up to 2' of new snow over the last 24 hours.  Storm slab instabilities will remain a concern within the recent storm snow or at the new snow/old snow interface.

Look for cracking around skis and/or any signs of cohesion of the recent storm snow.  Manage terrain and slope angles to avoid exposure on the way up and down.

recent observations

*  Reports area wide came in with natural and human triggered wind slab and storm slab avalanchesD2 avalanches large enough to bury or injure a rider were reported.

*  Intense snow transport along with heavy snowfall was reported throughout the forecast region.  Wind and snow intensity increased into the afternoon and overnight.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

16 to 24'' of new snow was reported over the last 24 hours above 7000'.  This storm should begin to slowly wind down this morning with decreasing snow and winds.  Temperatures have plummeted over the last couple hours and are in the single digits at many locations along the Sierra Crest with winds decreasing into the moderate range.  3 to 8'' of additional snow is forecasted for above 8000' today.  We have a bit of a break on Monday before another potential storm enters our area for Tuesday night/Wednesday.  An active weather pattern looks to continue.

CURRENT CONDITIONS ALONG THE SIERRA CREST BETWEEN 8200 FT. AND 9200 FT. IN THE LAST 24 HOURS
6am temperature: 6 to 15 deg. F.
Max. temperature: 21 deg. F.
Average ridgetop wind direction: SW
Average ridgetop wind speed: 40 to 80 mph
Maximum ridgetop wind gust: 112 mph
New snowfall: 16 to 24 inches
Total snow depth: 106 to 134 inches
Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 7000 ft. to 8000 ft.
Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Cloudy. Snow in the morning, then chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Mostly cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Partly cloudy then becoming mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 15%.
Temperatures: 19 to 25. deg. F. 7 to 17. deg. F. 22 to 28. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: West 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 55 mph decreasing to 40 mph in the afternoon. West around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Southwest around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Expected snowfall: 80% probability of 2 to 6 inches. 20% probability of 6 to 8 inches. | SWE = 0.15-0.35 inch. No accumulation. | SWE = trace amounts. No accumulation. | SWE = trace amounts.
For 8000 ft. to 9000 ft.
Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Cloudy. Snow in the morning, then chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Mostly cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Partly cloudy then becoming mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 15%.
Temperatures: 15 to 21. deg. F. 5 to 15. deg. F. 18 to 24. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southwest 30 to 45 mph with gusts to 100 mph becoming west 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph in the afternoon. West 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 55 mph. West 20 to 35 mph with gusts to 65 mph.
Expected snowfall: 90% probability of 3 to 8 inches. 10% probability of 8 to 12 inches. | SWE = 0.15-0.40 inch. No accumulation. | SWE = trace amounts. No accumulation. | SWE = trace amounts.
Disclaimer

This avalanche forecast is provided through a partnership between the Tahoe National Forest and the Sierra Avalanche Center. This forecast covers the Central Sierra Nevada Mountains between Yuba Pass on the north and Ebbetts Pass on the south. Click here for a map of the forecast area. This forecast applies only to backcountry areas outside established ski area boundaries. This forecast describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This forecast expires 24 hours after the posted time unless otherwise noted. The information in this forecast is provided by the USDA Forest Service who is solely responsible for its content.

For a recorded version of the avalanche forecast call (530) 587-3558 x258

December Donor Drive

Winter is back and so is SAC! Everything we do hinges on the generous support of users like you.

Please help support SAC with a tax-deductible donation today!

DONATE

No Thanks