THIS AVALANCHE FORECAST EXPIRED ON March 24, 2019 @ 6:59 am
Avalanche Forecast published on March 23, 2019 @ 6:59 am
Issued by Andy Anderson - Tahoe National Forest - Sierra Avalanche Center

LOW avalanche danger exists in sheltered areas and in below treeline terrain. In more exposed near and above treeline areas, MODERATE avalanche danger may form due to some possible wind slab avalanche problems.

2. Moderate

?

Above Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

2. Moderate

?

Near Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

1. Low

?

Below Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
    Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Small slabs of wind drifted snow may have started to form on leeward aspects. As long as new snow amounts remain limited today, these wind slabs should remain small and confined to areas near ridgelines. They may be sensitive to human-triggering, but their consequences should be minimal due to their small size. Larger, more serious wind slabs are unlikely but not impossible in the most wind-loaded areas. If more snow falls than forecasted, expect larger, more widespread wind slabs

Cornices above a slope, blowing snow, drifted snow, and wind created surface features can help identify where wind slabs may exist. Pay especially close attention to places where wind slabs exist near terrain traps because these can magnify the severity of any size avalanche. Areas sheltered from the winds with previously smooth surfaces should provide more consistent recreation conditions.

recent observations

* Yesterday observations from Silver Peak and Brockway summit found frozen supportable snow surfaces on all aspects and no signs of instability.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

Snow showers and moderate SW winds started last night and should continue through this morning as a small storm system moves across the region. The weather should start to wind down this afternoon as the snow showers come to an end and the clouds begin to dissipate. The forecast calls for clear skies tonight and a sunny cool day tomorrow. More stormy weather should impact the region next week.

Weather observations from along the Sierra Crest between 8200 ft. and 8800 ft.
0600 temperature: 24 to 30 deg. F.
Max. temperature in the last 24 hours: 26 to 35 deg. F.
Average wind direction during the last 24 hours: SW
Average wind speed during the last 24 hours: 20 to 30 mph
Maximum wind gust in the last 24 hours: 50 mph
New snowfall in the last 24 hours: 2 to 3 inches
Total snow depth: 111 to 156 inches
Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 7000 ft. to 8000 ft.
Saturday Saturday Night Sunday
Weather: Cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Snow likely in the morning, then chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%. Partly cloudy then becoming clear. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 5%. Partly cloudy then becoming mostly cloudy. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 0%.
Temperatures: 33 to 39 deg. F. 15 to 21 deg. F. 40 to 45 deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Light winds becoming southwest around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph in the afternoon. West around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph in the evening becoming light. Light winds.
Expected snowfall: 70% probability of 1 to 4 inches. 30% probability of 3 to 5 inches. | SWE = up to 0.15 inch. No accumulation. | SWE = none. No accumulation. | SWE = none.
For 8000 ft. to 9000 ft.
Saturday Saturday Night Sunday
Weather: Cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Snow likely in the morning, then chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Partly cloudy then becoming clear. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 5%. Sunny then becoming mostly cloudy. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 0%.
Temperatures: 28 to 34 deg. F. 12 to 18 deg. F. 35 to 41 deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph. West 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph decreasing to 25 mph after midnight. South around 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph increasing to 35 mph in the afternoon.
Expected snowfall: 70% probability of 1 to 5 inches. 30% probability of 4 to 6 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. No accumulation. | SWE = none. No accumulation. | SWE = none.
Disclaimer

This avalanche forecast is provided through a partnership between the Tahoe National Forest and the Sierra Avalanche Center. This forecast covers the Central Sierra Nevada Mountains between Yuba Pass on the north and Ebbetts Pass on the south. Click here for a map of the forecast area. This forecast applies only to backcountry areas outside established ski area boundaries. This forecast describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This forecast expires 24 hours after the posted time unless otherwise noted. The information in this forecast is provided by the USDA Forest Service who is solely responsible for its content.

For a recorded version of the avalanche forecast call (530) 587-3558 x258