The last avalanche forecast for the 2019-2020 season posted on May 3rd. Thank you to everyone who supported the avalanche center this past season with volunteer hours, donations, and/or avalanche, snowpack, and weather observations. These contributions are crucial to avalanche center operations.
State of the Snowpack for 12/22/2018 - 12/28/2018
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 12/28/2018 - 06:35
Dates of the Week:
12/22/2018 to 12/28/2018
General Snowpack Structure:
- Snow surface near and above treeline affected by gale force NE winds
- Faceting recent storm snow in wind protected areas below treeline, especially on N-NE-E aspects.
- Some mid and lower snowpack faceting along with faceting near some but not all rain crusts. Rate and degree of snow surface faceting varies by location and is not directly related to elevation.
- Rain to 7,000' to 7,800' followed by 6 to 13 inches of new snow on 12/24 into 12/25.
- Gale force NE wind event 12/27 through 12/28