The USDA Forest Service avalanche centers are continuing to operate despite the partial government shutdown because of the critical public safety information they provide.
State of the Snowpack for 12/22/2018 - 12/28/2018
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 12/28/2018 - 06:35
Dates of the Week:
12/22/2018 to 12/28/2018
General Snowpack Structure:
- Snow surface near and above treeline affected by gale force NE winds
- Faceting recent storm snow in wind protected areas below treeline, especially on N-NE-E aspects.
- Some mid and lower snowpack faceting along with faceting near some but not all rain crusts. Rate and degree of snow surface faceting varies by location and is not directly related to elevation.
- Rain to 7,000' to 7,800' followed by 6 to 13 inches of new snow on 12/24 into 12/25.
- Gale force NE wind event 12/27 through 12/28