The last avalanche forecast for the 2018/2019 season was posted on Sunday April 21st. Thank you to all who have supported the avalanche center through volunteer hours, field observations, and financial support.
State of the Snowpack for 12/29/2018 - 1/4/2019
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 01/04/2019 - 06:26
Dates of the Week:
12/29/2018 to 1/4/2019
General Snowpack Structure:
- Weakness in upper layers of thin crusts and facets.
- Strong midpack layer
- No problematic weak layers in lower snowpack layers.
- A mostly right side up snowpack with the exception of some wind slab layers in the upper snowpack in the Mt. Rose area.
- A shallower, weaker snowpack has been noted further south in the Carson Range.
- Gale force NE wind events
- A period of below average air temperatures
- No significant new snowfall