The USDA Forest Service avalanche centers are continuing to operate despite the partial government shutdown because of the critical public safety information they provide.
State of the Snowpack for 12/29/2018 - 1/4/2019
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 01/04/2019 - 06:26
Dates of the Week:
12/29/2018 to 1/4/2019
General Snowpack Structure:
- Weakness in upper layers of thin crusts and facets.
- Strong midpack layer
- No problematic weak layers in lower snowpack layers.
- A mostly right side up snowpack with the exception of some wind slab layers in the upper snowpack in the Mt. Rose area.
- A shallower, weaker snowpack has been noted further south in the Carson Range.
- Gale force NE wind events
- A period of below average air temperatures
- No significant new snowfall