It is with great enthusiasm that we announce the search for the next Executive Director to lead Sierra Avalanche Center! Click here to view the full job posting.
State of the Snowpack for 1/18/2020 - 1/24/2020
Submitted by andy on Sat, 01/25/2020 - 14:18
Dates of the Week:
1/18/2020 to 1/24/2020
- Persistent Slabs - Large D3 snowbike-triggered avalanche and a smaller skier-triggered avalanche reported on 1/18. Numerous whumpfs and unstable snowpit tests early during the week.
- Wind Slabs - Skier triggered and natural wind slab avalanches reported on 1/18, 1/20, and 1/24.
- Loose Wet - Minor activity reported.
General Snowpack Structure:
- A clear day Jan 18 gave way to cloudy skies and warmer weather through Jan 20.
- Small storm with wind and limited snow on Jan 21.
- Another warm and weak storm with rain up to 8500 ft. on the night of Jan 23.