The last avalanche forecast for the 2019-2020 season posted on May 3rd. Thank you to everyone who supported the avalanche center this past season with volunteer hours, donations, and/or avalanche, snowpack, and weather observations. These contributions are crucial to avalanche center operations.
State of the Snowpack for 1/18/2020 - 1/24/2020
Submitted by andy on Sat, 01/25/2020 - 14:18
Dates of the Week:
1/18/2020 to 1/24/2020
- Persistent Slabs - Large D3 snowbike-triggered avalanche and a smaller skier-triggered avalanche reported on 1/18. Numerous whumpfs and unstable snowpit tests early during the week.
- Wind Slabs - Skier triggered and natural wind slab avalanches reported on 1/18, 1/20, and 1/24.
- Loose Wet - Minor activity reported.
General Snowpack Structure:
- A clear day Jan 18 gave way to cloudy skies and warmer weather through Jan 20.
- Small storm with wind and limited snow on Jan 21.
- Another warm and weak storm with rain up to 8500 ft. on the night of Jan 23.