The last avalanche forecast for this season will be published on April 18. Thank you to all who have supported this avalanche center through volunteer hours, snowpack/avalanche observations, and financial contributions.
State of the Snowpack for 2/29/2020 - 3/6/2020
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 03/06/2020 - 13:28
Dates of the Week:
2/29/2020 to 3/6/2020
General Snowpack Structure:
- Gale force NE winds scoured many near and above treeline areas back down to pre-storm snow surface.
- Pockets of lingering settled storm snow below treeline on shaded northerly aspects, snow surface wetting in some areas.
- Reestablishment of diurnal melt-freeze conditions on solar aspects with upper elevation E aspects remaining in a transitional state between recent storm snow and consolidated melt-freeze.
- No problematic or persistent weak layers.
- Storm event March 1-2 with 3 to 13 inches of low density new snow. Sierra Crest in the northern portion of the forecast area favored.
- Gale force NE wind event immediately following the storm with ridgetop gusts to 126 mph.
- High pressure for the rest of the week with well above average air temperatures at elevation Wed-Fri.