It is with great enthusiasm that we announce the search for the next Executive Director to lead Sierra Avalanche Center! Click here to view the full job posting.
State of the Snowpack for 2/29/2020 - 3/6/2020
Submitted by brandon on Fri, 03/06/2020 - 13:28
Dates of the Week:
2/29/2020 to 3/6/2020
General Snowpack Structure:
- Gale force NE winds scoured many near and above treeline areas back down to pre-storm snow surface.
- Pockets of lingering settled storm snow below treeline on shaded northerly aspects, snow surface wetting in some areas.
- Reestablishment of diurnal melt-freeze conditions on solar aspects with upper elevation E aspects remaining in a transitional state between recent storm snow and consolidated melt-freeze.
- No problematic or persistent weak layers.
- Storm event March 1-2 with 3 to 13 inches of low density new snow. Sierra Crest in the northern portion of the forecast area favored.
- Gale force NE wind event immediately following the storm with ridgetop gusts to 126 mph.
- High pressure for the rest of the week with well above average air temperatures at elevation Wed-Fri.