State of the Snowpack for 3/21/2020 - 3/27/2020
Submitted by steve on Fri, 03/27/2020 - 15:42
Dates of the Week:
3/21/2020 to 3/27/2020
- Deep Slab - 1 human triggered avalanche reported on Mar. 21
- Loose wet - Minimal activity reported
- Wind Slab - Numerous reported during and after storm cycle. Some failing on buried graupel and buried surface hoar layers. Many size D1 to D2.
- Storm Slab - Multiple reported, then these storm slabs transitioned to persistent slabs.
- Loose Dry - Numerous small D1 loose dry sluffing during and post storm cycle.
- Persistent Slab - More than 8 human triggered failing on buried surface hoar and/or buried graupel layer. Size D2-D3 with impressive wide propagation and remote triggering.
General Snowpack Structure:
- Below average temperatures for the week.
- Widespread surface hoar formation over the weekend pre storm.
- NE winds light to moderate shifting to SW strong to gale force during the storm event, light winds post storm.
- Storm cycle Mar. 24-26 depositing 1-2' of snow on the Sierra Crest.
- Convective type storms with several layers of graupel throughout storm cycle