The last avalanche forecast for this season will be published on April 18. Thank you to all who have supported this avalanche center through volunteer hours, snowpack/avalanche observations, and financial contributions.
State of the Snowpack for 1/2/2021 - 1/8/2021
Submitted by steve on Fri, 01/08/2021 - 15:24
Dates of the Week:
1/2/2021 to 1/8/2021
General Snowpack Structure:
- Deeper and stronger snowpack along the mid and northern Sierra Crest and Mt. Rose areas
- Shallow and poor snowpack structure in the Carson Pass to Ebbetts Pass areas and some lower elevation locations
- Dec 11 PWL has shown increased stength in areas with a deeper snowpack (> 1m).
- Whumpfing sounds, cracking, and unstable snowpack test results reported in weak, shallow snowpack areas- mostly focused around Carson Pass
- Jan. 2 rain/mist event
- Jan. 4 storm with upper elevation snow and lower to mid elevation rain. 3 to 9'' of snow above 7000' favoring the northern part of forecast region
- Gale force SW wind events