State of the Snowpack for 2/20/2021 - 2/26/2021
Submitted by andy on Fri, 02/26/2021 - 14:14
Dates of the Week:
2/20/2021 to 2/26/2021
- Firm rain crusts and wind-scoured surface on open exposed slopes up to peak tops along the Sierra Crest, no rain crust in the Mt. Rose area.
- Melt-freeze conditions on sunny slopes with the southerly aspects holding corn conditions. Other aspects the melt-freeze crust is sometimes firm and sometimes breakable.
- Some lingering soft snow on the most sheltered N facing slopes with a graupel layer on top of a rain crust buried a few inches below the surface
- Well-consolidated mid and lower snowpack.
- Small storm ended on 2/20 followed by mostly clear weather the rest of the week
- Prolonged strong to gale force NE wind event for much of the week
- Above-average temperatures 2/21-2/23
- Cooler weather 2/24