State of the Snowpack for 12/18/2021 - 12/24/2021
Submitted by andy on Sat, 01/08/2022 - 15:06
Dates of the Week:
12/18/2021 to 12/24/2021
- Snowpack consists of several meters of recent storm snow on top of old snow from Oct/Nov. Those old layers are now so deep it is difficult to get any force down to them.
- Strong winds at all elevations produce wind-affected surfaces even in sheltered areas.
- Strong SW winds with clear weather through 12/21.
- Another large multi-day storm started during the night on 12/21 with a mix of rain and snow. Snow levels fluctuated between 7000 and 8000 ft. Gale force SW winds accompanied the storm.
- By 12/24, 20-43 inches of new snow had accumulated.