State of the Snowpack for 12/25/2021 - 12/31/2021
Submitted by andy on Sat, 01/08/2022 - 15:29
Dates of the Week:
12/25/2021 to 12/31/2021
General Snowpack Structure:
- Snowpack is now 3 to 5+ meters deep across the region.
- Layering consists of various storm snow layers and wind slabs.
- Still some soft snow available for transport.
- Large multi-day storm that started on 12/21 continues through 12/29
- 55-124 inches of new snow
- Gale force SW winds with sustained speeds of 40 to 80 mph and gusts up to 136 mph along ridgetops. Midslope winds gusted up to 48 mph.
- Temperatures remained cold throughout the storm.
- New record for the amount of snow in December
- Snowfall ended on 12/30 but SW and W winds remained strong.